Recently, the ANKC Ltd has been in negotiations with the FCI for the continuance as an Associate Member. Over the years the FCI has allowed the ANKC Ltd to operate in a manner that in many cases was in breach of the FCI Statutes, the FCI has informed us that this is no longer tenable if we are to remain members and we will be expected to comply with the FCI Statutes for an Associate Member as per all the other FCI Associate Members.
In June 2016 the ANKC Ltd President and Vice President attended a meeting in Belgium with the FCI Executive to express our concerns with Australia being required to comply fully with the FCI Statues due to our isolation and Bio Security requirements, the meeting was very successful and the FCI were very responsive to the ANKC Ltd views and a reasonable way forward was discussed.
From that meeting and subsequent correspondence from the FCI Secretariat the following is proposed to be put to the FCI General Committee:
That the ANKC Ltd continue as an Associate Member of the FCI with the following understandings:
- The ANKC Ltd will continue to pay the FCI the Annual Fee for Associate Membership (currently €400 or $604);
- The ANKC Ltd through its Member Bodies will conduct a minimum of 2 CACIB shows per year (from 2018) and will pay to the FCI the nominated fee, €1.4 or $2.12 per catalogued
dog, (many affiliates of State Bodies have already expressed a desire to conduct such shows to the extent it is likely that ANKC Ltd would have to limit the number of CACIB shows in each jurisdiction each year):
- CACIB shows are to be conducted under FCI regulations including group nomenclature and Breed Standards. There is a provision to combine some FCI groups to reduce the number of groups from 10 – 7:
- All domestic shows (Championship, Open and Parade) will still be conducted in accordance with the current ANKC Ltd Regulations Part 5 Show;
- The FCI will register ANKC Ltd prefixes with a one-off fee of €6 or $9.07; where there may be a conflict between an ANKC Ltd Kennel Name(Prefix) and another from a FCI Member the ANKC Ltd Prefix will be added with (AUS);
- Given the vast distances between the Member Bodies, isolation from other FCI countries and Australian Bio Security requirements, ANKC Ltd registered dogs will be eligible for the title of International Champion by winning 4 CACIBs in 4 different States/Territories under 4 different FCI judges.
The expectations of the FCI are reasonable and continued Associate Membership allows ANKC Ltd, Member Bodies to contract FCI Judges to judge in Australia and our Judges to gain valuable experience judging at FCI events. It also facilitates the continued exporting and importing of dogs from FCI countries to further develop our bloodlines.
The ANKC Ltd Directors will be meeting with members of the FCI Executive later this year. It is anticipated that ANKC Ltd and the FCI will come to an agreement in principle. Should you have any uncertainties in relation to ANKC Ltd continued Associate Membership with the FCI you are urged to discuss them with your Member Body ANKC Ltd Director/s to ensure you get the complete facts.
Hugh Gent OAM
President and Chairman of the Board of Directors
Australian National Kennel Council Ltd